Saturday, July 5, 2008

Hayward Field

As many of you know, the start of July was also the start of my summer life of having no husband. =) "In water work" starts July 1st, and if you are working around water, you work like crazy starting July 1st until early fall when the permit ends. It is a crazy time of year, and the wives all suddenly become pretend widows. So, we wives find things to do to occupy our time. My friend Sarah and I usually hang out quite a bit, as our husbands are on the same job. Thursday night we loaded up her two darling kiddos and went down to Hayward Field, where the Olympic Trials are taking place. It was so much fun to wander around and take in all of the excitement of Track Town, USA. We saw athletes running through campus (Hayward Field is the University of Oregon's' track) and were able to watch the trails on a big screen from outside the arena. It was so much fun!
Here is the main entrance to the arena where you can watch the trials on a big screen for free. There are also tons of things to see and do inside this area.


Here is the big screen I keep talking about. There were lots of people sitting down and seriously watching, while still many more were standing and casually watching. We watched for a short while, but kids don't have the long of an attention span, and there was TONS going on.


We wandered around the field and peeked inside. We originally thought we wouldn't have wanted tickets to the actual event, but after looking inside, we both thought it would have been fun. Such an intimate arena, you can see all of the events at once.


Another view of the same thing.


I am really glad we went down and saw this. I would have regretted not experiencing this exciting time. To remember my trip down to the trails, I took these pictures (not edited yet) and also bought a cool hat. =)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How fun! I would of loved that!

Lindsay said...

What a great thing to go and do... right in your own city! :)

Sounds like a fun, fun day!