Sunday, April 29, 2007

life temperature

I recently read some advice about taking your 'life-temperature' periodically. You know, that little voice in your head and in your soul that tells you if you are really living life, if you are really the person you want to be, if you are accomplishing the goals in your life. What a great way to check yourself. We go day to day, we are so busy, so into all of the micro elements in our lives, and rarely stop to check the macro elements. The overall big picture.
I know that there are lots of people in my life that could stand to do this, I mean REALLY do this. Not just think about it, or kinda do it, and this totally includes myself. I do all of this stuff, wedding stuff, school stuff, house stuff, art stuff, but am I really the person I want to be? This same article of advice went on to say that if you are so busy/crazy in life that you are having a hard time to stop and check, you should make lists.
Who I WANT to be:
  • kind
  • generous
  • humble
  • funny
  • trustworthy
  • reliable
  • organized
  • specific
  • put together
  • confident
What I want to do:
  1. find a job
  2. be a good finance
  3. be a caring teacher
  4. finish planning this wedding
  5. have a beautiful/ fun wedding
  6. be more organized in life
  7. be more organized on my desk at work
  8. be brave enough to call people on the phone
  9. get the red stain out of my white carpet
  10. vacuum out my car
  11. be a GREAT wife in two months and for the rest of my life
  12. find a HOT swimsuit for my honeymoon
  13. go to Costco for work
  14. go on more walks
  15. take more pictures
  16. have a warm/friendly tone of voice with my students
  17. stay calm with my students

I think I am going to use these lists as an ongoing way to check my life temperature. I am looking forward to crossing things off my list, and I know I will add lots of stuff to my list as the days go by. And one more list:

What I accomplished this weekend:

  1. drove to PR Friday night
  2. went on a walk with my mom (got back in the dark-oops!)
  3. visited with mom and dad and watched TV
  4. typed in nearly 300 addresses to mom's computer
  5. found lots of addresses I didn't have yet
  6. chose a font and color to print those addresses in
  7. drove to Pendleton to buy a pen, look at guest books, look at kitchen stuff at Sunshine Gourmet, looked at paper at the Scrapbook Station.
  8. went on a walk in the sunshine with my mom
  9. ate dinner with my mom and dad
  10. took pictures in my moms yard
  11. picked out the computer I want to buy
  12. talked with Brandon
  13. talked about how to make the programs for my wedding
  14. talked about who I could get some wheat seed from for the wedding
  15. started working on other papers to include in the invites
  16. drove back to Hermiston!

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Very cool - thanks for sharing... I think I need to take my life temperature at least 2 times a day!
Have a great week!!