Friday, May 15, 2009

fresh air and sunshine


Have you ever washed and folded an entire load of construction orange t-shirts and sweatshirts? Have you ever emptied your husbands coat pockets and found about 200 .22 bullets and 10 zip ties???
Have you ever went in your backyard and found old construction road signs? (like the HUGE green ones?)
Is your garage filled to the brim with construction tools?
Do you see work boots in every corner?
Is your car filled with teacher stuff (and garbage?)?
Do you have kindergarten papers in your bag to look at?
Sometimes I feel like there is so much going on in my life... and I just need a break. And then I remember, thank the Lord, I remember that I am only given what I can handle. Brandon and I together are given what we can handle.
There are moments in the midst of all the craziness where I am home alone. I can take a walk. I can take a bath. I can take a deep breath.
I think I need to be busy to fully enjoy the evenings where I am home alone with Duke. Where I can open the windows wide open and crank my music and fold laundry, take a bath, walk the dog, wash clothes, wipe down the kitchen counters and water plants. Where I can think about my day(I don't usually think about it once I leave my room). I can make lists of what to do, who to call, who to write, where to go, projects to finish or start or work one. I can organize and rearrange.
The past couple of months have been crazy. We have gone home, I have gone home by myself, Brandon went to Central Oregon (Burns....), we have torn out our yard, replanted our yard. We have built garden beds, planted our garden beds, put in a patio around the garden beds, installed underground water systems, helped friends do all of the above, potted flowers, and fixed gates and fences. We have celebrated birthdays, marriages, engagements, and prayed through illness. We have spent time with family and friends and strangers. We have thanked friends for their generosity and been generous with our friends.
A few things are keeping us going. 1. Each other. Brandon and I talk and laugh and cry with each other and keep each other in check. 2. Our family. they listen to us as we 'complain' and celebrated with us when we succeed. 3. God. He has listened to me give thanks and ask for help and guidance. 4. Knowledge. I know I only have 1 month left of this craziness. Only 16 school days (I think???) of little fingers grabbing for my hands, chubby arms reaching around my legs for hugs, loud voices asking for help and asking for praise and discovering new things, piles of paperwork, hours of meetings, and lots of things to sort through. I know this too shall pass and I can do it. It will be sad to see it go, but it will be nice to recharge and {hopefully} return rested and ready in August.
We can do this, and it will be good.

1 comment:

Lindsay said...

Have I told you lately how great I think you are?!

Well - you ROCK!

Here's to a week full of blessings in disguise, love & lots of sunshine!

Love you friend!

** cute, cute photo too :)